Autism Spectrum Disorder DSM 5 Criteria
This is what the doctors use to diagnose autism. For full text, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html
(There are two areas they start with)
|1. Deficit in social communication/interaction
2. Restrictive Repetitive patterns of behaviors, interest or activities.
|1st criteria- you must meet all three.||1. Deficit in social emotional reciprocity
2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors for social interaction
3. Deficits in developing, maintaining and undertaking relationships
|2nd criteria- you must meet at least two out of four.||1. Stereotyped or repetitive motor movements, use of objects or speech
2. Insistence on sameness, inflexible adherences to routines, or ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behaviors
3. Highly Restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus.
4.Hyper or hypo reactivity to sensory input
|Three Levels of autism diagnosis||Level 1- Requiring support
Level 2- Requiring substantial support
Level 3- Requiring very substantial support
|Result||1. If you meet both criteria, ASD diagnosis is given
2. If you meet the first criteria but not the second, then social communication disorder is given instead of ASD.
Copyright © 2021 Spectrum of Hope Foundation. All Rights Reserved.